A few months ago one of my brides brought along a friend of hers while she had her dress fitting. That friend was attending a wedding in October, along with another friend, and they both wanted fascinators to match their existing dresses. This proved extremely difficult due to colours: one dress was silver, gray and blue metallic in colour; the other was taupe, lilac and lemon. Luckily I’m impossibly stubborn when it comes to facing a challenge. Rather than give up I dig my heels right in and go on a mission for finding the best solution!!
My single-minded determination paid off and Alexa and Catharina were thrilled to bits with the resulting, perfectly colour matched hair accessories. After searching for many hours to source colour matched fabrics and silk flowers, I gave up after finding *nothing* at all! I then came up with the idea of contacting artists who painted on silk and asking them to colour match some small pieces of fabric. I found some enthusiastic artists but as soon as I sent the specifications through I received no response at all. Although I’m a creative person I haven’t painted anything since I was at college, but I guessed I could give it a go and set about ordering some silk organza fabrics from Hong Kong.
The next step was to learn how to make silk flowers. Easier said than done! After searching around I realised there wasn’t much in the way of online tutorials or books on Amazon. I did find some odd looking modern and vintage millinery tools but didn’t have a clue how to use them or how to work with the silk fabric. That sounded like a recipe for disaster and I wasn’t going to risk it with a customer project.
Imagine how surprised I was to find a silk flower making workshop not very far from where I live, which started only a month later. It was meant to be! I booked the workshop and hoped for the best. I would have exactly FOUR days to get the fascinators done, after the workshop was finished.
After the weekend workshop I had 4 days to make the fascinators and I ordered the flower irons on the first day, and waited patiently at home for them to arrive. They turned up a couple of days late meaning I was now in a bit of a panic trying to get everything done in time!! The photo on the left shows the leaves and petals I finally got to make using the irons I’d been waiting for.
Next I put the fascinators together and sent photos to Alexa and Catherina. After receiving feedback I made some changes and sent a new photo – and worked in this way until they were happy with the designs. I then sewed everything firmly into place and the fascinators were collected the same evening that I finished them!
I’m always really excited to receive customer photos so thank you very much to Alexa and Catherina for sending some lovely photos after the wedding.
Here’s a close-up of one of the fascinators: